Sunday, October 13, 2013

What's wrong with the NFL's "best" teams?

(Follow me on Twitter! @FauxJakeLocker)

Well so far 2013 has been a... strange year, for football. Basically every team we thought would be terrible is doing great and every team we thought would be great is doing terrible (with the exception of a few on each side). So what's wrong with these so-called "great" teams? Let's start with a breakdown of each surprise crappy team this year, starting with the ever-famous fall of the Texans.

Texans: Boy oh boy, the Texans. Someone lit a match and threw it into a dumpster in Houston. Let me begin by saying I don't think it is Matt Schaub's fault. Ok well it's definitely his fault but it's not all him. The Texans need to revert to a run first mentality. Schaub is more of a game-manager. He's not the Peyton Manning-type who can win games single-handedly. He's simply does what he needs to do in order to win. Well the Texans aren't harping on that skill. They're taking him as a balanced guy who can do it all... he can't. Schaub, believe it or not, has been one of the more accurate QBs over the past few years, it's just that his inconsistencies have over shadowed his well-doing. So until Gary Kubiak gets on board with what Schaub has to offer, expect more and  more losses... and more and more pick-sixes. (P.S. As i type this I am seeing the Texans losing to the RAMS. Yeah, sorry Texans fans.

Packers: Yeah, 2-2 isn't a terrible record. But I've seen a lot of bad plays from the Packers. What people just won't realize about the game of football is that it's a team sport. If the Packers keep losing games, guess who gets blamed? Aaron Rodgers. It's not Rodger's fault that they're losing a few. Just look around him. No, his receivers aren't terrible, but James Jones just got put out recently in the game i'm watching, and they already had lost Greg Jennings to the Vikes. And then take a look at his O-line. Aaron Rodgers has been pummeled in the backfield. To this point, he's been sacked 11 times. He is having to act under pressure too much. I think they'll pick it up, because Rodgers isn't just a game-manager like Schaub, he's up there with the likes of Peyton and Brady.

Redskins: RGIII is not what he once was. That injury  affected him obviously. But as I watch him play, I realize it's not just that. He's had trouble with certain things since the beginning of his career. The biggest is sliding, and if he doesn't learn how to properly slide one day, you're in for a trip Skins fans, cause he's going to get hurt. Bad. Do they pick it up? No, not enough. They'll go somewhere around .500 when it's all said and done.

Giants: Wow so is Eli still ELIte? Yeah, but he's in the same situation has Schaub. Look around him, his offense has absolutely fallen apart. O-Line? Terrible. WRs? Pretty dang bad in this season anyway. RBs. Don't get me started. The Giants are 0-6 and no, they won't pick it up. Not gonna happen, I'm sorry Giants fans, but your team just is not good anymore. They're looking down the barrel of a top 5 pick.

Falcons: What has happened to the previous NFC South champs?! I can't say a whole lot about this one, cause honestly, I don't see what it is. Maybe Matty-Ice is just cold. Maybe the O-line is just not doing their job. Maybe... Is Michael Turner still an option? Will they pick it up? Maybe. But think of it this way, they currently have totaled their entire 2012 loss column... we're only in week 6...

Pittsburgh: I told you so, I told you so! No one ever listens to a parody account. Let me tell you a little story about a man named Ben. He was very good, when he had his weapons. But take away Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall? "Big" Ben is just as useful as the clock he is named after. Not only on offense, but look at the losses on defense. James Harrison? Gone. Casey Hampton? Gone. Troy Polamalu? Not what he once was. Will the Steelers pick it up? NOPE. I've never been a huge Steelers fan, so maybe there is a tiny bit of bias, but that's one thing I can promise you. That towel won't be so terrible for their opponents this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment