Follow me on Twitter! (@FauxJakeLocker)
Adam Schein, NFL.com columnist, puts it best.
"The Titans are crushing free agency"
I really like seeing headlines saying that the Titans are crushing free agency. Because that's something you may have never hear from the Titans. Let's be honest, Bud Adams is a cheap-skate. He never allows his coaching staff to jump on it day 1, LET ALONE prior to the beginning of it (George Wilson). I really am very optimistic about our future. For today, i'm going to do my 4 favorite signings. So let's begin.
1. Andy LeVitre - Offensive Guard, acquired from Buffalo (free agency)
This is my number one overall signing. LeVitre was definitely the best guard on the market, and we are nothing short of awful at the position. The interior line simply could not stay healthy, much less block for the life of them. Steve Hutchinson's retirement only makes this a greater signing. LeVitre is just 4 years into his career, and has already shown he could be one of the best there is. In 2012, LeVitre was ranked number 1 overall for pass-blocking (via Bleacher Report). But here's the problem. He was ranked 39th in run blocking. We actually had an exceptional pass-blocking line this past season (ranked 6th), but had a nothing-short-of-atrocious run-blocking line (ranked 19th i believe). Overall this is still a great signing, but I surely hope LeVitre will develop his run-blocking ability. Still, I'd give this signing an A+.
2. Bernard Pollard - Strong Safety, acquired from Baltimore (released-free agency)
Pollard is one of the hardest-hitting players in the NFL. I love this signing as well. The Titans gave up a NFL-worst 472 points last season, which is obviously not something you want to see out of your favorite team. Defense wins championships. Personally, I still believe Michael Griffin still has that pro-bowler type fire he had in him for previous seasons. But, Griffin simply didn't do much in 2012, and looked like a rookie rather than a tested veteran. Pollard obviously isn't taking his spot, being a SS and Griffin being a FS, but he will surely anchor that defensive backfield. When Griffin fails to shine, I see Pollard taking over. If Pollard fails to shine... There's still George Wilson. I like the way one of my followers on Twitter put it: [What are we going to do], "have a free safety, strong safety, and a 'what now b*tch safety?'". I did think this signing was a bit overkill, but look, when a defense gives up 472 points in 16 games... you sign as many players as the cap allows to fix it. That's exactly what we've done. Pollard only signed a one year contract, which I see as more of a safety net for us. Pollard is notorious for being a little... how do I put this... annoying, douchy, whiny, and a bit of a diva. I've never necessarily seen this but if ESPN says it's true, it must be (NOT). Hopefully that's wrong but if not, the Titans only have to deal with it for a year. I'm just curious as to how much money we dropped on him. But no matter, I give this signing an A.
3. Shonn Greene - Halfback, acquired from New York(Jets) (Free Agency)
Now @DouchyCJ2K may jump on me for ranking this one at 3, but I like the signing. The Titans have lost the smashmouth running game they were notorious for in the Eddie George and even LenDale White days. I miss being able to simply run through the middle on 3rd and 2 to grab that first down. Not saying CJ can't do it, just saying that he's not the kind to knock someone to the ground. Greene is a powerful back and will (hopefully) bring back the ability to go for short yards and eat up clock. Greene's inability to hit homeruns should eat a lot of clock, if he simply hits 4-5 consistently. We need to work on holding the ball if we want Jake Locker to develop into our franchise quarterback. My ONLY TWO problems with this Shonn Greene signing is that it will cut CJ2K's attempts down a lot, and we paid him a lot for a back up. I can get over the payment he got, but I really wanted to see CJ2K 2.0. Who knows? maybe he'll hit enough home runs to hit that mark that Adrian Peterson came 9 yards short of! But anyway, i give this one a B+
4. Delanie Walker - Tight End, acquired from San Francisco (Free Agency)
As Pro Football Weekly puts it, the Titans made a "twin killing" off of Walker and LeVitre. Walker has proven he is a good tight end helping the 49ers make that Super Bowl bid this year. Not only can he catch when he tries, but he also is a great blocker. Again, we surely need help when it comes to blocking. And honestly, I like Walker better than Cook. I base that solely off the fact that I no longer like Cook because he seems arrogant, but Walker will make a huge difference this year. Hopefully Taylor Thompson lives up to what he says he plans to and is successful in fully taking the No. 2 TE spot.
In conclusion, we have a BRIGHT future. The Titans are young, and although it may take a year or two for Jake Locker to finally take full responsibility of our offense and team, we'll be alright. My record prediction for 2013 (after seeing our 2013 opponents): 10-6. This is FULLY dependent on Jake Locker's performance. If he gets hurt again or just simply doesn't play well, we're screwed. Munchak will be gone and we'll be drafting a quarterback at number 1 overall. BUT if he plays well... We WILL make the playoffs and we WILL be making a bid for our first Lombari trophy for the first time since 1999!!! TitanUP!
No comments:
Post a Comment